Select your city for specific info
Your Consultation on Czech visa and assistance service
Let us help you!
Whatever type of visa you may need - short term or long term - we will help you with the application process. Also, if you want to extend your visa in the Czech Republic feel free to ask us for assistance!
Applying from your home country?
- Students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries who wish to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days have to apply for a visa.
- An application for the permit should be submitted to the Czech Embassy or Consulate in the student's country of origin in good time before arrival.
- Be aware that the administration process can easily take 8 weeks. Remember to apply for visa on time – at least 2 months before you want to enter the Czech Republic.
If you are a citizen of EU or EFTA state you do not need to apply for a visa.
When applying for the visa you need to provide following documents:
- 2 photographs,
- application form,
- medical record ,
- funds to cover the cost of stay in territory
- proof of payment of the fee for submission of the visa application
- document confirming the purpose of stay (certified copy of a document on enrollment for studies issued by the University, confirmation of studies issued by the University) required by consulate/embassy
- health insurance - forStudents has the valid license to conclude health insurance contract that comply to all regulations of Ministry of foreign affairs fulfills all the requirements of the act No. 326/1999 Coll.;
- document confirming guaranteed of accommodation (can be provided by our offices)
- excerpt from Register issued by the state whose national you are
Registration at Foreign Police Department after arrival
Nationals of third countries are obliged to report their presence in the Czech Republic with the appropriate Foreign Police Department, that holds jurisdiction over the location of the place of their stay in the Czech Republic within a timeframe of 3 working days of their entry to the Czech Republic. You can order our professionals for personal assistance if you need it.
In the Czech Republic we recognize 3 types of visa:
- short-term visa (stay up to 90 days);
- long-term visa (stay over 90 days - up to 6months);
- long-term stay (stay more than 6 months).
What do you need for registration?
- Valid travel document;
- Foreign Police is also entitled to request to see your health insurance and lease contract.
What to do next?
- Long-term visa - the registration process is done, just in case of any change in your details (address, passport), you have to report within 30 days to the MOI.
- Long stay - after registration you have to order an appointment for biometric card. You need only your passport and wait in lobby till the officer calls your name. They will take a picture, fingerprints, check valid address of stay and also give you date for collection biometric card (approximately 3 weeks). When you go to collect it, you also need to buy "kolek" - a stamp (can be purchased in post office) in amount of 2.500 CZK.
Basic info about a biometric card:
- Each year you will go to extend your visa, you will obtain a new card.
- If you lose your biometric card, you will be charged 4.000 CZK.
- If you have to change some personal data, you will pay 1.000 CZK.
- Any changes concerning the data at a biometric card have to be reported within 30 days.
What documents do you need to apply for VISA extension, long term residence permit?
- Filled Application Form;
- Confirmation of accommodation;
- Lease contract
- Declaration of tenant agreement with landlord signature (verified by notary)
- Confirmation of study from the university;
- Bank account statement or credit card statement – original (verified translation), with valid international card and amount of 81.400 CZK for 1 year or 134.200 CZK for 2 years;
- Passport + Biometric card + 1 passport size photography;
- Health insurance – which will cover whole period for visa (12 months, 24 months). Deal health insurance with forStudents!
- Revenue stamps - 1.500 CZK with application, 1.000 CZK on biometric card collecting
All documents must be in CZECH language and original (or notarized copy) and not older than 3 months.
Visa extension in Czech republic - step by step
1. Prepare all the documents.
2. We can help you make an appointment. Contact us in advance. The appointments are given in two months period.
- Biometric card holders - you can start extending your visa 120 before and up to your last day of expiration date.
- Long term visa holders - you can start extending your visa 90 days before and up to 14 days before your expiration date.
3. Buy stamps called 'kolek' in the amount of 2.500,- CZK (available at any post office in Czech Republic)
4. If you didn´t make any appointment, you will need to go to the office early in the morning, get the token with the number and wait until your number comes up.
5. Submit all the documents and stamps. Mention changes if there are any (address, passport number etc.). Your duty for visa extension is completed. Officer will give you an appointment at biometric department where they will take a photo of you and take your fingerprints for biometric card. Don´t miss the appointments. It´s hard to get one in time and the waiting period is really long.
7. At the second visit at biometric department you will get your last appointment for picking up the biometric card. If you miss the appointment for biometric card and don´t pick it up within 2 weeks, your visa will be cancelled.
!! If you don´t start the extension before your visa expires or you don´t pick up your biometric card within 2 weeks from your appointment, your visa will be cancelled and you will have to travel back to your home country and ask for visa there again. !!
- Applying for 2 years - the procedure is the same, but all the documents have to cover the whole period.
- There are some rules in process of a visa application which have to be followed, however it is still up to an immigration officer if you will get visa or not and for how long (mainly they are looking for a health insurance length and a study confirmation validity).
- Don´t miss the deadline for extension!
- For biometric card holders - the extension starts 120 days and ends min 1 day before current visa expiration.
- For non-biometric card holders (first time applicants) - the extension starts 90 days and ends min 1 day before current visa expiration.
- If you plan to leave the Czech Republic before obtaining visa extension (new biometric card), ask MOI for bridging visa.
- Fill in the right contact address! MOI sends appeal mainly by post.
We highly recommend you to go with our VISA help package to avoid any problems.
forStudents offers a great deal of VISA HELP packages:
1. CLIENT PACKAGE - free of charge
For clients who concluded lease or health insurance contract through forStudents agency.
2. NON-CLIENT PACKAGE - 1.000 CZK
For clients who haven´t used any service from forStudents agency until now.
3. MEDSOC CLIENT PACKAGE - free of charge
Advise on visa procedure for students from 1st Medical Faculty of Medicine in Prague during office hours in Medsoc (for this academic year it is Wednesday 10:00 – 15:00). Please check availability.
Valid for one year!
What is included in VISA HELP package?
- Advise on visa with step by step process for newly arrival students.
- Advise on visa extension for senior students.
- Help to fill the application form.
- Check all the documents needed for visa application.
- Booking appointments with Ministry of Interior for any reason (picking up biometric card, bridging visa, change of address, visa extension).
- Checking OAM (if provided) and booking biometric appointment.
- Monitoring expiration of visa if details of previous visa were provided and GDPR email replied
What is NOT included in VISA HELP package?
- Personal assistance for appointments with Ministry of Interior
Charges for personal assistance for individual city:
800 CZK / for 2 hours, minimum price
800 CZK / for 2 hours, minimum price
300 CZK / hour
Price is charged for each commenced hour .
Price is always per 1 person.
Price is charges in advance.
Cancellation possible latest 24hours before appointment otherwise there is a cancellation fee (Prague and Brno: 800 CZK, Hradec Králové: 300 CZK)